This week I read quite a few interesting wine-related stories and was again reminded of the wonderful world of wine.
Although it is a debated subject, I would like to believe that wine has some health benefits.
We all know that there is more to food and wine pairing than white wine with white meat and red wine with red meat, but how about pairing your wine with vegetables?
So many wines, so many preferences. Cabernet Franc is forecasted to be the hit in 2014!
Value for money – what to pay for wine has been debated for decades.
Sharing our wines with the world – it seems like the international market is continuing to open up to South African wines.
Does age matter? Forget about maturing your wine, how about maturing the vineyard?
And then @Winefolly shared 10 important things to know about wine.
Being inspired by all the wine talk, I thought to list some of the reasons why I love wine.
- The impact of terroir – how soil and wind and climate affect what ends up in the bottle.
- The influence of the winemaking process – how the passion, preference and vision of the winemaker influences trends and tastes.
- The mystery of maturation
- The international appeal of wine – I love having friends of all nations and languages who enjoy wine and it is wonderful to have the opportunity to travel across the world to market our wines.
- A talking point – how we can have long and passionate discussions about a single bottle of wine.
- The sociability of wine – relaxing with family and friends and making friends with strangers over a glass.
- Its celebratory character – how we can celebrate big achievements, small events and everyday moments with a glass of wine.
- How I can relax after a tough day or a long week by lighting a fire and pouring a glass of wine.
- The beauty of the Winelands – wherever you are in the world, but especially in the Franschhoek Valley.
- How wine enhances even the simplest of meals!