From Cleopatra to Queen Elizabeth I – there are a host of women who have made a significant contribution to history. Women who are industrious, creative, tireless and caring. We all know about such women and we all know such women.
Last night I attended a special event in Sandton, Johannesburg. It was an evening of lovely food, wine and the company of some of South Africa’s most established business people – women who have made their mark in finance, business, communications… Inspirational leaders and examples of success.
Talking to them, I again realised the power of women. That underlying strength, inherent caring quality and resilience of our mothers, wives, sisters, friends and those who made it from a global perspective: names such as Estée Lauder, Martha Stewart, Mother Teresa, Oprah Winfrey…
Although underestimated for many years, women play a very important role on all levels of society. And even when they are not heads of states, founders of global enterprises, CEO’s of financial institutions or recognised philanthropists, they are still very important to the world of business – even only for their decision-making and purchasing power!
Forbes says: “Women are the world’s most powerful consumers, and their impact on the economy is growing every year. The global incomes of women are predicted to reach a staggering $18 trillion by 2018, according to global professional services firm EY.”
“Women drive 70-80% of all consumer purchasing, through a combination of their buying power and influence. Influence means that even when a woman isn’t paying for something herself, she is often the influence or veto vote behind someone else’s purchase.”
Also see: The growing buying power of women
It is clearly important to consider women when making business and marketing decisions, but their purchasing power is not the only reason why they should be respected. They have made a difference in all sectors! Here are a few lists of the world’s most successful, powerful and inspirational women.
- The 20 most powerful women in business
- Women in parliament around the world. Rwanda has the most female seats and South Africa is at number eight.
- Female heads of state in history
- The current 22 female heads of state
- The most powerful women in finance
- The most powerful women 2015 – 19 newcomers
- Women who changed the world
- 11 Women who started amazing companies
- 12 Businesses you didn’t know where started by women
- 44 Female founders every entrepreneur should know
- Top 10 Successful companies founded by women
- 100 important and prominent women in history
- Top 100 famous women
- And then of course there are Women in Wine!