“Dream. Dare. Live it.” the slogan of the 2022 Dakar Rally. This gruelling race that takes place in January each year, can really be seen as inspiration for the year ahead. As well prepared as the drivers, their crews and vehicles may be, the conditions are harsh and the route unpredictable. Being successful takes a lot of skill, support and a bit of luck.
I follow the race predominantly on twitter, so herewith a few tweets and takeaways from the demanding Dakar to prepare us for the year ahead.
- The Dakar was never supposed to be easy
We know that life is neither easy nor fair. Manage your expectations and don’t get negative when you at first, you don’t succeed.
- The Dakar is all about solidarity
We will not get through the year if we try to make it on our own. Help others – I guarantee at some stage you will need help too.
- Which way is it?
- Bumpy road ahead
- Watch out!
The road ahead isn’t always clear. Sometimes you can still change course, but sometimes you end up in the deep end. Observe!
- Scenery of the day
- @A_Vanbeveren probably lost the Dakar… but he still enjoys riding in the Saudi dunes
We’re often so focused on reaching our goals or just surviving the challenges of each day, that we forget to enjoy the ride or appreciate the beauty around us.
- Forced to abandon yesterday, @kmbenavides is smiling again today! He wins the stage!
- Get back on the bike
Never give up. It is as simple as that.
- @LorenSantolino in the shade of the dunes
Remember that your perspective is not the only one. From another view your experience might look different. Be open-minded and remember, someone is always watching – your colleagues, your kids… Perhaps you can be an example and motivation.
- @kmbenavides was obviously very disappointed and sad when he had to abandon the stage due to a broken engine. The #1 will not be able to defend his title.
Disappointments are guaranteed. Feel the loss, but don’t let it overcome you.
- Don’t we all love a wheelie! Wheelie Wednesday is back! #WheelieWednesday
Have fun along the way!
- A record-equaling day on the Dakar! @SethQuintero103 earns his 10th victory on a single Dakar- a record shared with Pierre Lartigue. Congratulations Seth!
Celebrate when you can!
- The Dakar Rally requires optimum fitness…
Making it requires physical and mental fitness. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the new year will take its toll, but be prepared, look after your health, emotional wellbeing and how you spend your energy.
Participating in the Dakar is the dream of adventurers in the extreme. This year Saudi driver, Mashael Obadian’s dream came true – the first Saudi women to race the Dakar. (click here) Most of our dreams might seem quite tame compared to making a 14-day high speed chase through the desert, but I think some of the points in the Dakar manifest apply to how we take on 2022. Grab life with both hands, don’t back away from a challenge, be determined and passionate, push yourself to the limit, be the hero of your own story.
It’s interesting that the slogan of a rally that requires such determination and resilience, technical ability and engineering excellence start with a dream. What an inspiration for the new year.