We are just returning from a wonderful skiing holiday in Switzerland and while I really enjoy spending time in the beautiful outdoors, the wine and food is of course always an interest and passion and aren’t the Swiss cheeses just the biggest temptation?! The Appenzeller®, Emmentaler AOP, Le Gruyère AOP, Raclette Suisse®, to name but a few of my favourites.
Cheese and wine are such a “classic” combination – we even used to call any cocktail party a “Cheese and Wine”. Those working in the world of food and wine and those enjoying well-matched food and wine, will, however, tell you that cheese and wine are often very difficult to pair and enjoying a glass of wine with a variety cheese platter, is just beyond impossible.
There are of course some stand-out pairings: Sauvignon Blanc and Goat’s Milk Cheese, Port and Blue… There are however so many more wonderful kinds of cheese and great wines and it is worth having a better understanding of what works together.
I thought to share some expert opinions on cheese and wine and because I have met her and have high regard for her opinion on all things culinary, I first visited matchingfoodandwine.com to see what Fiona Beckett has to say on the subject. It turns out, quite a lot! So, here is some great information on cheese and wine by Fiona Beckett to guide you towards great matches in the New Year!
- The perennial problem of wine and cheese
- How to match wine and cheese
- Cheese and wine revisited
- A perfect wine for cheese. A perfect cheese for wine.
- Will Studd’s tips for matching cheese and wine.
- Pairing Cheese and Champagne
- Pairing Cheese and Claret
- Pairing well-matured cheese with great Pinot Noir
- Wine with cheese: Gorgonzola and Vin Santo
- Goats’ cheese and Sauvignon Blanc
- Cornish Blue and South African Muscat
- The best wine matches for Comté
- What to pair with artisanal cheddar?
- Top wine pairings with goat cheese (chèvre)
- Is natural wine the best match for unpasteurised cheese?
- Wine and cheese: Rosemary and ewes’ milk cheese and (very) old white rioja
- Which white wines pair best with white rinded cheeses like brie and camembert?
- Six of the best matches for cheddar cheese
- The best wine matches for Manchego, Berkswell and other hard sheep cheeses
- What are the best wine pairings for vacherin mont dorvacherin du haut doubs
- Cheese fondue and Chasselas
Some exciting drink pairings for cheese
- Which wines – or beers – pair best with cooked cheese?
- Pairing cognac and cheese
- How to pair whisky with cheese
PS. Do you know what an Affineur is?